After completing the course the students will be able to:
1. Understand and explain basic theories on gender
2. Describe and interpret gender stereotypes, norms, and roles
3. Explain the different elements of gender equality in a global scenario
4. Explain present-day gender discourses in media and in the offline world
5. Applying the acquired knowledge to a project.
6. Design a project related to gender equity
What is gender? Is it a useful category of analysis? Is it a binary construction? What does measuring gender equality in a global scale mean? What kinds of power relations does that have to do with? How do national mainstream media portray gender roles? Does this representation influence both online and offline gender roles? In this course, we will address all these questions.
The first part will introduce the basics of gender theories, it will work on deconstructing, and critically analyses the key concepts related to gender. Special attention will be paid to gender stereotypes and norms. The second part of the course will focus on gender equality and equity especially related to women. The third and final part will look at gender representations in art and in the media; and at the way in which media shapes gender discourses. Special attention will be given to women in mainstream and social media
The course will be interactive. Students will work both independently and in teams. Experts both from the academic and corporate areas will be invited to give a presentation for the course.
50% Group Assignment
50% Final Exam
- To be announced by the teacher.