Knowledge: after following this course the student has an insight in:
- What methodological assumptions are made when doing a survey study
- How to develop a questionnaire that will provide information to answer the research question
- How to analyze the data to answer a descriptive or comparative research question
Skills: after following this course the student is able to:
- Research skills:
- Develop a questionnaire
- Prepare and conduct a survey study
- Communication skills
- Report on a survey study
- Reflect on and evaluate a survey study conducted by fellow students
- Critical reflection:
- Evaluate the appropriateness of a survey study for a specific research question
- Critically reflect on the quality of a survey study with regard to the theoretical perspective taken, the research questions at hand, and the methodological assumption made by a survey
This Research Skills course aims at acquiring hands-on experiences with preparing and conducting a survey study. During the in hand-on experiences, the course focusses on offline survey studies.|
The course consists of four blocks:
The first block regards the question: ”When is a survey study appropriate?”. This question is related to the kind of research question to be examined, the methodological basis of a survey study, and the need to generalize the results.
The second block focusses on preparing a questionnaire. The following themes are addressed: formulating a research question and objective that asks for a survey study, the relevance of theory in determining what information is exactly needed, formulating the questions, and deciding on the structure of the questionnaire.
The third block is about preparing and conducting a survey study. Now the selection of the respondents (sampling) and preparing and conducting the fieldwork are discussed.
The fourth block focusses on data processing and analyzing with SPSS. In this block attention will be payed to descriptive statistical procedures and statistical tests that go into differences and correlations as well as how to report these findings in a scientific paper.
Type of exame: 100% assignments