The objective of this course is to present the principles and fundamental underpinnings of Web Services and Service Oriented Architectures. Special emphasis will be given to service definitions, service assembly, modeling, web services programming and design aspects of real-life applications in manufacturing. The course will examine the use of process and data integration techniques to develop SOA-based applications and help students illustrate and justify the use of analysis/design principles and guidelines in SOA application development solutions. Prior knowledge of databases and XML-programming is required.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Distinguish between the types, properties of services and best practises necessary for developing SOA-based applications and justify potential solutions;
- Explain the use of process and data integration techniques to develop SOA-based applications;
- Explain and justify the use of analysis/design principles and guidelines in SOA application development solutions;
- Design and appraise software services in terms of operational requirements and quality criteria for enterprises.
Students can participate in the final exam only after having successfully completed all their assignments.
Required PrerequisitesUnderstanding of Databases and Web Programming.
Service Oriented Architecture is a logical way of designing a complex, distributed software system by providing software services to either end-user applications or to other services distributed in the Internet, via published and discoverable interfaces.
This course covers the fundamental aspects and modelling of Web services and the development of applications on the basis of Service Oriented Architectures. In particular, it covers the following topics:
- Distributed Computing Overview;
- Describing Web Services and Business Processes;
- Introduction to Web services programming languages;
- Workflow Systems;
- Service Modelling;
- Service Design;
- Business Processes;
- Enterprise Service Bus;
- Introduction to Cloud Computing and Services.
Type of exams
Written exam (100%) + Assignments (see specifics)