The objective for this course is for students to develop academic CEFR* B2 English level skills in order to pursue further education in higher learning. More specifically, on successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- use grammatical accuracy, coherence, fluency and an academic range of vocabulary in speaking (e.g., describing, debating).
- use correct grammar, syntax, punctuation and academic vocabulary in writing structured and purposeful texts (e.g., paragraphs).
- identify, analyse and evaluate the author’s purpose, main ideas, supporting details when listening to academic level audio and video fragments (e.g., interviews, discussions).
- identify, analyse and evaluate the author’s purpose, main ideas, supporting details when reading academic level texts (e.g., journal articles, texts, reports).
*CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference)
The course ends with an official IELTS exam at the end of semester two.
Each student will receive a B2 level text book in which vocabulary, reading, writing and listening skills are taught in the context of thematic units. Each unit integrates academic and critical thinking skills which prepare students for continuing education. Moreover, semester two integrates IELTS skills in order to prepare students for the end of course IELTS exam. Finally, all additional material prepared by the teacher can be found on the Blackboard site.|
- Language of instruction is English.
- Assessments will consists of written, oral, reading and listening work.
- For pre-bachelor courses, the rules and regulations of the pre-bachelor program apply.