|After the course the student will be able to:
1. Indicate important components and tools in the data science ecosystem.
2. Describe and explain the elementary principles of data mining and their application in different contexts and domains.
3. Employ several preprocessing and data representation techniques, and supervised and unsupervised learning algorithms.
4. Analyze and evaluate reproducible data mining experiments.
5. Draw conclusions on the potential and limitations of data, algorithms, and models, and their application in society.
Data Mining for Business and Governance will be accessible for all students (no technical background required). During the course, students will complete assignments in which they will train their basic data mining skills, gain insights from data, and conduct reproducible research. The assignments will be performed with open-source software (jupyter, pandas, and scikit-learn). There will be one midterm exam to ensure that students keep on track with the course contents. The course is completed with a written exam.
|Steadily increasing computing power, data sources, and connectivity have made data science an important component in both industry and parts of scientific research. This course offers an introduction to this intersection of statistics, computer science, and machine learning in various domains. Upon completion of the course, students will have acquired the skills necessary to analyze, and interpret data. Additionally, students will be familiarized with a range of algorithms for automated decision making, and methods of critically evaluating their performance and impact on society. The perspective of the course is application-oriented and serves to provide students with the knowledge and experience that is in line with the current demand for skilled data scientists, and computational researchers.
Research papers, see Canvas
“Due to limited capacity, this course is currently not open for external students.”
Course available for exchange students
Master level, conditions apply