The Bachelor's thesis is the final assignment of the Bachelor's degree. Students write their thesis within the major they have chosen. The bachelor thesis has the form of a scientific article based on empirical research, and is written individually and independently. The bachelor thesis comprises 12 ECTS (336 hours). There are two dates on which students can start writing: September 1st and February 1st. Students have to complete the thesis within five months after they start it.
Thesis learning goals
The main objective of the bachelor thesis is for students to individually perform an academic research project and write an academic report on this project. On successful completion of the bachelor thesis, students will be able to:
- identify and define a problem relevant to the field of psychology (s)he is majoring in;
- evaluate critically the literature relevant to the problem and synthesize the review with a short summary and thorough appraisal of previous work;
- develop a research question and subsequently formulate hypotheses based on the reviewed literature;
- apply basic research methods in psychology, including research design and data analysis, as well as interpret data to answer the research question
- discuss the outcomes in relation to the hypotheses and previous work and draw a conclusion from this;
- reflect critically on the conducted research by noting its limitations and translate findings and limitations of the current study to implications for science and/ or practice;
- [when applicable: reflect critically on the ethical considerations of the research]
- present all of the above in a scientific report (thesis) written in proper academic Dutch or English, while using the most recent APA (American Psychological Association) guidelines;
- demonstrate an academic work attitude in both thesis process and product. This means that students demonstrate the ability to use feedback from supervisors in a constructive and conscientious manner and demonstrate the ability to conduct the research independently.
In order to be allowed to start writing a BA thesis, the student should have completed successfully: 1) all courses from the “propedeutische” phase of the BA programme; and 2) 60 credits from the “postpropedeutische” phase of the BA programme. So in total 120 ECTS.
If students want to start their bachelor thesis but do not yet meet this requirement, they should contact the education coordinators.