Students who have successfully completed this course will be familiar with:
Students who have successfully completed this course will be able to:
- The concepts of Smart Asset Management, Smart Services, and Smart Maintenance;
- The most important innovations in the field of Asset Management for the upcoming years, including engineering innovations, information technology innovations, business and economics innovations, and social innovations;
- Real-world cases of each innovation from various industries and firms, such as NS, KLM, Tata Steel, Liander and Shell.
- Adopt a system and overview perspective of Asset Management;
- Recognize Asset Management challenges and determine what innovations are most suitable to solve these Asset Management challenges;
- Analyze innovations with the CIMO method.
The course consists of five major parts:
- Setting the stage: a primer in Smart Maintenance, Service and Asset Management;
- Engineering themes: exploring 3 types and real-world cases of engineering innovation, including Condition-Based Maintenance, Degradation models and Design for Maintenance;
- Information technology themes: exploring 4 types and real-world cases of information technology innovation, including Smart Sensoring, Data Analytics, Integration of Asset Management IT Systems, 3D designs, Virtual and Augmented Reality, and Mobile Solutions;
- Business & Economics themes: exploring 4 types and real-world cases of business innovation, including Asset Portfolio Management, KPI Dashboards, Life Cycle Costing and Performance-Based Contracting;
- Social science themes: exploring 2 types and real-world cases of social innovation, including knowledge management and cultural, and behavioural change.
For non-repeaters, the final course grade is determined by the grade for the group assignment (50%) and the grade for the individual exam (50%). Students pass the course if their final grade is equal to or greater than 5.5 (which will be rounded to 6.0) and if the score on the individual exam is equal to or greater than 5.0.
[The book Akkermans, H.A. (2019). Smart Maintenance, Service and Asset Management Managing Technical Assets in the Digital Age. is under development. Until that time, the students are provided with the handouts and links to relevant literature]