At the end of this course students should be able to:
- formulate a relevant, feasible and motivated problem statement and translate this problem into research questions.
- formulate a well-structured conceptual framework based on arguments supported by (sufficient and appropriate) literature.
- argue the chosen research method given the problem description and describe the chosen method.
- draw conclusions answering the research questions based on data analysis, including (significant and relevant) managerial and academic implications/ recommendations.
- Well-structured, coherent and consistent writing as well as the argumentation is very important.
- Lay-out and presentation (language errors, correct references, correct use of tables/ figures/ appendices) is also part of the assessment.
- Contribution to discussion during group meetings, the quality of your feedback to fellow students and the degree of independence in writing your own thesis are also part of the assessment.
The Bachelor Thesis Marketing will have to be written in English and within a strict time schedule. The schedules will be available on Canvas. If your grade is insufficient to pass, you will get the opportunity to improve your thesis in the resit. You can choose to write the thesis in semester 1 or semester 2 of the academic year. Participating in the thesis process is restricted to once per year, and never in two consecutive semesters.
The prerequisite for the Bachelor Thesis Marketing is that you have at least obtained 120 ECTS of the curriculum if you start writing the bachelor thesis in semester 6 and at least 138 ECTS if you start writing the bachelor thesis in semester 7 or later. Next to that you have followed and passed at least two courses related to the research areas of the Department of Marketing.
Business Economics (Bedrijfseconomie) students need to have followed and passed:
- Marketing in Organizations
- Consumer and Marketing
- Academic Skills
International Business Administration students need to have followed and passed:
- Marketing Management for IBA
- Decision Making in Marketing for IBA
- Skills file (writing skills, presentation skills, excel skills)
The registration deadline for students who write the thesis in semester 1 is in August (the exact date and time will be announced via Canvas as soon as possible). The registration deadline for students who want to write the thesis in semester 2 will be in January (the exact date and time will be announced via Canvas as soon as possible). It is not possible to start the bachelor thesis process in two consecutive semesters. Thus, students who enroll in a thesis topic in Marketing in the Fall semester (semester 1) but fail (grade <5.5) or quit the course are not allowed to redo the bachelor thesis in any of the four specialization (bsc thesis Accountancy, Finance, Marketing or Management) in the Spring semester (semester 2). Similarly, students who enroll for the Bachelor Thesis Marketing in the Spring (semester 2) are not allowed to restart again in the Fall (semester 1) of the next academic year. You need to wait at least one semester before you can again start with the bachelor thesis at TiSEM. The registration system opens approximately one month before each start of the thesis process. Registration for the bachelor thesis is mandatory.
The bachelor thesis involves a problem statement and research questions that are well motivated, relevant and feasible. A careful review and synthesis of existing literature lead to a conceptual framework, including all relevant variables, how the variables are related to each other, and a convincing interpretation for why and how they are related. Even though the bachelor thesis contains no empirical analysis of one's own, the student should propose a research method suitable for testing the proposed conceptual framework. We also evaluate the quality of communication -- argumentation, consistency, presentation -- and the supervision process itself.
Type of instructions
Both group and individual meetings with the bachelors thesis coach.
Type of exams
Paper (Bachelor Thesis)