At the end of the course you will:
- be abl to read and write the Arabic alphabet.
- also have a basic grounding in the Arabic grammar
- have a modest vocabulary in order to communicate in everyday situations.
- recognize some of the differences and similarities between the culture of Arabic-speaking countries and your own culture in terms of values, beliefs and behavior.
The final level of the course corresponds to the A1 Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
- 80% attendance in the lessons is required. Learning Arabic is achieved only if you are always present in the lessons.
- Learning a language takes time. Apart from attendance and exam preparation, this course has a course load of about 8 hours per week.
- The proficiency target level is A1. Students with a higher proficiency level are not allowed to take this course.
- Naturally, in class time is spent on aspects of the Arabic world and language. Arabic dialects will be touched upon briefly as well.
- The course will be completed with a written exam.
- Target level: A1
- The Language Center reserves the right to cancel a course should there be insufficient interest.
- Please note that Mastering Arabic 1 includes an audio CD, which is not a compulsory purchase; it is in the teacher's possession. The books tend to be available at the Studystore or on the internet.
You will learn Arabic reading and writing based on the course books. You will notice that the Arabic alphabet is surprisingly easy and that the recognition and writing of the letters is rather a technical skill than acquiring a thorough knowledge of a complex system. Grammar is astonishingly simple as well. At the end of the course you will be able to read, write and understand very basic texts.|
The course will also focus on the differences and similarities between the culture of Arab countries and your own culture in order to better understand them in terms of values, beliefs and behaviour.