At the end of this course, the student will be able to:
- have a simple conversation in Portuguese about everyday topics.
- to read and write short and simple texts.
- recognize some of the differences and similarities between the culture of Portuguese-speaking countries and your own culture in terms of values, beliefs and behavior.
The target level of the course is an A1-level of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEF).
- The course focuses on Portuguese as spoken in Brazil. In addition, whenever relevant, attention will be paid to the European variety of Portuguese.
- Learning a language takes time! Apart from attendance and exam preparation, this course has a course load of about 8 hours per week.
- The proficiency target level is A1. Students with a higher proficiency level are not allowed to take this course.
- An attendance of at least 80% is required, as is handing in a complete portfolio.
- The course is rounded off with a written and a listening exam.
- In the event of an insufficient number of participants, the Language Center reserves the right to cancel a course.
Using the Novo Avenida Brasil method, students learn the basics of Portuguese. The emphasis is on teaching communicative skills (reading, listening, writing, and speaking) in an everyday context. Topics that will be discussed include: introducing yourself, giving directions, making an appointment, giving your opinion, and talking about past events. Grammar and vocabulary covered in the course are related to these topics. On a regular basis, attention will also be paid to Portuguese-speaking regions with a focus on Brazil and Portugal.
13 x 3 hours seminar
Type of instructions
Type of exams
Written and listening exams and portfolio
- Lima E.E.O.F., Rohrmann, L., Ishihara, T., Iunes, SA., & Bergweiler, CG., Novo Avenida Brasil 1: Curso básico de Português para estrangeiros, E.P.U., ISBN 978-85-12-54520-2.
- Woordenboek Portugees - Nederlands, ISBN 9789000302253.
- Woordenboek Nederlands - Portugees, ISBN 9789000302260.
- or Good dictionary for your native language to and from Portuguese.