At the end of the course you will be able to (at level B1+ of the Common European Framework of Reference):
- engage in longer and nuanced conversations in which you can clearly express and argue your opinion;
- understand spoken language, also when the topic is outside your immediate experience;
- write a simple e-mail in correct German (grammar, vocabulary, style);
- understand descriptive, informative texts in greater detail, in which you can identify the intentions of the author and certain nuances in the language.
- recognize some of the differences and similarities between the culture of German-speaking countries and your own culture in terms of values, beliefs and behavior.
3 years of German in secondary school or at least CEFR-level B1.1
After completing this course, you will be ready to join the course German: Upper-Intermediate Course.
- If you have any doubts about your level of German, please contact the lecturer.
- The language of instruction is German.
- The proficiency target level is B1+. Students with a higher proficiency level are not allowed to take this course.
- Learning a language takes time! Apart from attendance and exam preparation, this course has a course load of about 8 hours per week.
- There is an 80% attendance requirement for this course.
- The Language Centre reserves the right to cancel the course should enrolment numbers prove to be insufficient.
- German Advanced aims to highlight also the differences and similarities between students' own culture and the cultures of german-speaking countries in terms of values, beliefs and behavior.
There will be reading, listening, and writing assignments, as well as different speaking assignments (monologues, dialogues, discussions, and presentations).Grammar and vocabulary will be practiced to achieve correct language use. At the end of the course, you will write an essay, which serves as the basis for the oral exam.
13 x 3 hour seminar
Type of instructions
Oral and written exam
Type of exams
|Course available for exchange students||Required materials|
|Books can be ordered on www.studystore.nl|
|Title||:||Mittelpunkt neu B1+, Deutsch als Fremdsprache für Fortgeschrittene|
|Author||:||B.Braun, S. Dengler, N. Fügert, S Hohmann|
|Publisher||:||Klett (Ernst) Verlag,Stuttgart.|
|German-Dutch, Dutch-German dictionary (preferably, Prisma, Kramer, Van Dale)|
|Author||:||Maes, K. & Sweep, J.|
|Publisher||:||Van Dale, 2016|