Kies de Nederlandse taal
Course module: 500843-M-6
Occupational Health Psychology
Course info
Course module500843-M-6
Credits (ECTS)6
CategoryMA (Master)
Course typeCourse
Language of instructionEnglish
Offered byTilburg University; Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences; TSB: Social Psychology; Social Psychology;
Is part of
M Social Psychology: Work and Organizational Psychology
dr. Y.M.J. Stráznický van Osch
Other course modules lecturer
Academic year2019
Starting block
Course mode
Registration openfrom 13/08/2019 up to and including 02/08/2020
  1. Students should be able to analyze and evaluate: (a) Theoretical models on stress, (b) Recovery, (c) Work-home/Home-work interference, (d) Issues of women on the work floor, (e) Value of older employees, and (f) Issues on the modern-day work floor
  2. Students should be able to think critically about experimental methodology for studying occupational health psychology and will gain an understanding of the type of methodologies that occupational health psychologists use.
  3. Students will be able to examine how occupational health psychology research can help address practical issues in the field, and will be able to create and test interventions.
This course will be run as a seminar (attendance is obligatory). Students will prepare for classes by reading the literature and developing issues for discussion. Classes will start with a small test that assesses the student's preparation for the class. Students' knowledge of the overall course content will be assessed in the final exam. In addition, students will apply and extend their knowledge by completing individual assignments and writing and presenting a group paper.
The final grade will be a weighted average of the small tests (10%), individual assignments (total 20%), group paper (30%), and final exam (40%). 
To pass this course one should:
- The average score should be at least a 5.5 (a 5.5 will become a 6, a 5.49 a 5)
-The calculation of the final grade is based on the absolute (i.e., non-rounded) grades of the subparts
Students who fail the course will be given the opportunity to write a new individual paper and/or take part in a resit exam. The grade for the new paper will count for 50% of the final grade and replaces the grades for the two individual assignments and the group paper. The resit exam will count for 50% of the final grade and replaces the grades for both prep assignments/quizzes and exam. The resit deadline for the individual paper is equivalent to the date of the resit exam. All partial grades remain valid for the rest of the term, including the resit/new paper at the end of the academic year. However, they are not valid beyond that - i.e. repeater students need to retake all elements of the course.
Full attendance is required. In case one will miss a seminar, the teacher should be informed before the start of the seminar with a credible and good reason. Students are not allowed to miss more than two seminars (then the course needs to be retaken in the next academic year).
The general objective of this course is to provide students with knowledge of the most important concepts, theories, and research findings within the field of Occupational Health Psychology. At the end of the course, students are expected to have an understanding of the causes of physical and psychological job strain, and how these affect employee well-being, and the prevention and intervention of work-related health issues.
This course focuses on the effects of the work situation on employee well-being and health. The course presents an overview of models that explain the relationships between the work situation and employee reactions, such as strain and health complaints. Additional topics include work-home interference and ageing. Furthermore, instruments for assessing and evaluating health risks at work will be presented, as well as methods for the prevention and intervention of stress reactions. Besides negative outcomes, the course will also focus on positive outcomes of work, such as engagement.
Type of instructions
14 seminars
Type of exams
small tests / assignments / group paper / final exam
Course available for exchange students
Master level, conditions apply
Contact person
dr. Y.M.J. Stráznický van Osch
Timetable information
Occupational Health Psychology
Written test opportunities
Written test opportunities (HIST)
Schriftelijk 40%, Resit 50% / Written 40%, Resit 50%EXAM_01BLOK 1115-10-2019
Schriftelijk 40%, Resit 50% / Written 40%, Resit 50%EXAM_01BLOK 2202-01-2020
Required materials
A selection of articles from academic journals and book chapters will be announced in the Syllabus on Blackboard.
Recommended materials
Individual Assignment 1

Individual Assignment 2

Written 40%, Resit 50%

Final Result

Average of all in-class quizzes

Group Paper

Kies de Nederlandse taal