This course is a continuation of Russian for Beginners 1. At the end of the course you will be capable of having straightforward conversations in a variety of situations and of understanding your conversational partner better. Your reading comprehension will be improved, and you will be capable of understanding both the main idea and the most important information in simple, functional texts. In addition, the course teaches not just Russian grammar but the logic of the Russian language. You will be capable of to recognize some of the differences and similarities between the culture of French/Spanish/…-speaking countries and your own culture in terms of values, beliefs and behavior.
- There is an 80% minimum compulsory classroom attendance.
- Please note: learning a language takes time! In this course, you are expected to spend at least 12 hours a week on self-study.
- The proficiency target level is A2. Students with a higher proficiency level are not allowed to take this course.
- The language of instruction is Russian/English
- If you have studied Russian elsewhere, or if you are unsure about whether your entrance level is sufficient, please speak to your teacher about this.
- In the event that there is insufficient interest, The Language Center reserves the right to cancel the course
Russian for Beginners 1 or similar level (A1).
During this course, time will be devoted to talking about free time and hobbies. A variety of other topics will be dealt with, including how to make appointments, and what basic language skills are needed to organize a journey (from buying tickets and renting an apartment to ordering food).
At the start of the course, there will be time for revision in order that any gaps in learning may be filled. In addition, the first half of the course will devote time to studying the Genitive case, practicing the use of adjectives, and studying a number of special verbs. The second half of the course focuses exclusively on Russian Aspect. You will learn how to understand this concept and also how to correctly use it.
This course makes active use of various forms of work via Canvas, which means that the participants have to submit exercises online on a weekly basis.
10 x 2 hours each
Type of exams
Written and oral exams. The online work in Canvas also counts for the final grade.