At the end of this course the student is able to:
- Apply the 5 forces model of Porter, the DEPEST mode and the VRIO framework in order to make an internal and external analyses of a firm.
- Determine the optimal business and corporate level strategy based on the characteristics of the market en the firm.
- Motivate which governance mode (alliance, merger, autonomous growth) is best in order to implement a strategy while taking the external environment into consideration.
- Write a report aboutthe the strategy of the firm and the performance.
- Argue what his of her own points of improvement related to collaboration in teams are and indicate how to cope with it in future collaborations.
The course consists of lectures and tutorials about strategic management and a management game. The management game is a simulation game in which the student experiences how strategic decisions work out. During the game the student uses his or her knowledge gained in the lectures and tutorials. Next to that the student uses his or her knowledge and experiences from the field of business economics (Accounting, Finance, Management, and Marketing). The game is played in a team of a maximum of four students. Each team manages a firm and compete with other firms in the industry. The team is the board of the firm and cooperation is important. Collective decision making, discussion and brain storms about the strategy improve the results of the firm.|